Why I do what I do.......


I have been thinking!  


I don't generally put too much thought into thinking about autism and the impact it has on our family!


If I did, I would probably end up in that not so nice place 'up country' (Durbanites will know the place I mean!!).


However, I have been thinking that I would like to give a brief explanation of why I do what I do with Nick!  Yes, I do realise that it is not necessary to explain myself and frankly, my journey with autism is not that spectacular!! 


But........


The one therapy (besides O.T, Physio and SLT) that I have chosen to do with Nick is not one that is widely used in South Africa! The general thinking in this country is that Relationship Development Intervention is a bit 'out of the box' ....so to speak!! It is a therapy that really pulls in the parents - I have gone from... handing my child over to other people... to taking on the responsibility of creating a truly meaningful relationship between myself and my child!  That has got to be good - don't you think?! :)


Why do I bother, when life would be so much easier if I just hand over that iPad and let Nick do whatever he wants to keep himself happy? Sometimes I wonder!!!!!  However, I want to give him the opportunity to experience life, I want him to be at ease with new surroundings/people/LIFE! It would be remiss of me to not use the opportunity to improve his quality of life..... and therefore mine!


For me - RDI fits our family.  There is something quite special about addressing the developmental stages that Nick has missed out on. I will be honest and admit that I am not completely driven to put in 100% effort, however, the balance I have created is working well for now! 


~*~

..... and when life gets a bit overwhelming........
I do something about it!
even if it meant freezing my butt off at a very boring rugby match!
(I spent more time checking out the comings and goings of the teenagers!!)

~*~

Thanks to my friend who reminded me that it is always possible to make a plan!








2 comments:

  1. I think everyone who is considering RDI as an option should read this post.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great thinking ... thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a comment. x